Sunday, August 14, 2011

Creating a Digital Rich Classroom

We read the book Creating a Digital Rich Classroom by Meg Ormiston for my Using the Internet in Education class.  This book was inspirational to me because it made me want to go back to school with an open mind.  It sparked a change in me and a new way of thinking to give my students the best.

My favorite is the whole entire book.  It gave so many suggestions of different resources that can be used in the classroom.  Resources like LibraryThing and Shelfari can take the Read and Respond to the next level.  I also liked how she spells out what would be an ideal classroom in her "Meg's Technological Tools in an Ideal Classroom".  She believes that if a teacher utilizes these tools (correctly) they will be able to move mountains within their class.  They are as follows:
  1. Laptop for the teacher
  2. Laptops for every student
  3. Interactive whiteboard
  4. Multifunction speakers
  5. Voice amplification system
  6. Document camera
  7. Student response system
  8. Stable, wireless, robust network with limited blocking and filtering
I give this book 2 thumbs up.  It is a quick read packed with substance and great ideas. 

No comments: